The one and only dedicated Fatal Frontier forum.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Here it is in a nutshell.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 10:20 am

Okay guys i'm starting to notice i'm killing threads or stopping them in they're tracks so I figured I would just lay it all here so I stop unintentionally "putting the brakes on" or derailing threads, mostly paintballers.

Anyway, my name is Frank and I have terminal cancer. Back in june of 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3c testicular cancer and they caught it real late. So late it had already spread to all my lymphnodes. I started a chemo regime immediately called BEP and did it for four rounds, with each round being a month or so long. The docs all thought i beat it and after 6 months i returned to life and work. After about four months i got sick again and found out the cancer was back and really pissed off.

Well onto round two, and i started a new regimen called TIP. Unfortunately TIP did not help or slow it down so i needed a Stem Cell transplant right away and was told it was my last hope. I spent a month inside a plastic bubble room at Brigham and Womans hospital doing the transplant and high dose chemo. They lost me three different times but my heart is too strong to stop. Again, unfortunately the transplant did not work so doing another would have just killed me.

Because of this I have been labeled terminal as it has now spread to my lungs and my left kidney and wont be slowing down. I have agreed to do another type of chemo just to help me stay around longer and hopes for a little better of a life. I havent been given an official expiration date because its very hard to gauge but I know I dont have years, by the way its spreading and the speed at which it is moving. I have accepted that this disease will take me long before i should be going but it doesn't take away my laughter and happiness for whats left of my life.

Which brings me to this game. During chemo and times i can barely move this game takes me away. It sometimes even allows my wife the ability to get out of her own head as well. I have so much downtime that it doesn't interfere with anything, even the times me and my wife can be alone. This forum has also been a way to get away and gives me the ability to interact with people that don't see me and otherwise wouldn't know when I'm having a bad day or a bad sick day. I really appreciate you all more than you know and simply because I'm not being judged.

That leads me to.... Please don't think this was all some ploy to get free things. I have never used my own disease against anyone or used it to "get" anything. Im a huge part of the MMA community and the support I received mentally and sometimes financially has been beyond what I would have ever expected. I have seen a few threads from retiring players that have given guys things as gifts etc but as you can see I have never posted in any of them other than to say the good deed was awesome. Markmollina gave me a couple gifts yesterday that I did not ask for and I'm so very thankful for that and Im a pay it forward kind of guy so whenever im able to help someone I always will.

This post is NOTHING more than just putting it out there and no more thread killing or derailments from me. I do apologize for that so I figured I would put this here so any questions, concerns or comments can just be placed here. No one has to say anything either I just wanted everyone to know who I am and why I make the jokes I do. If you would like to know anything or anymore about me just ask. Nothing is off limits.

If you want to ask if i feel like i have lived? Yes i absolutely have....i have been married to the same woman twice that has covered 18 years and I helped her raise two of the best boys ever that I met when they were 1 and 2 years old respectively and now are 18 and soon to be 20. Both work full time with one being in college and the other ready to be tattoo apprentice. I couldn't be happier or more proud of what i have done in my life. Am i ready to die? Yes but believe me....i don't want to.

You can contact me here, facebook.com/frankedge or facebook.com/franksfight
Also on twitter #franksfight Some good pics and stories and i just did a interview with an MMA media outlet which should be out soon.

Well thats me and I hope you all have a wonderful day. Rock on FF....rock on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/FranksFight
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 10:28 am

And let me add in paintballer. Super standup dude and has helped me tremendously with the game and sometimes with my own head and he may not even realize it. Thanks man Im glad i have got the chance to get to know you and look forward to our FF bromance. No homo

Well okay maybe just a little lmao Zoar as well thanks for the pm's and for the help man
Back to top Go down
DaedHead8
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 11:40 am

Wow, what a story. I really don't know what to say. I tend to remain hopeful in these kind of situations. Who knows? Maybe the miracle cure-all for cancer will be discovered in the next six months and you'll live to be a hundred. I can only wish you the best of luck.

I do have a few questions though: Why was it detected late? Did you not go to the doctor often enough or was your doctor just incompetent? If s/he was incompetent can you sue? Are there tests I should be having my doctor run? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so these stories always make me worry, I'm sorry for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/DaedHead8
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 12:13 pm

Awesome questions man. The main reason it was caught so late was because i did not have any pain or uneasiness in my testicle and a lot of me getting sick and feeling crappy was just pushed off to my crohns disease. I am always faithful with physicals and doc visits just unfortunately nothing was too wild for any red flags to go up. From doing my own self checks i had noticed my testicle changed shape and i had gone from 275 lbs down to 225 lbs in three weeks time. After a bunch of tests were run they found it. It really is no ones fault as sometimes it just happens this way.

My main advice is check your boys bro. If you feel ANYTHING out of the ordinary, even the slightest discomfort go to the damn hospital. Too many people have the "it wont happen to me" attitude or the "well lets wait a few days and see if it goes away". No god no for the love of christ make a appointment.

Would any of it made a difference with me? I don't know because they estimated me having the cancer destroying me for at least 3 - 4 years before we found it. All i know is what could have been curable was found too late and I'm going to lose my life because of it.

Im a happy guy though and i will remain that way. Sometimes i wish I was single or maybe that I didn't re-marry my wife again. The way she breaks down throughout the day fucking kills me more than anything and i do mean anything. My family has to love me. My wife doesn't have to yet she does and will have to say goodbye to me whether she wants to or not. That really is the only thing that breaks me down.

And its funny you mention tests..... Any guys wanna know how to test yourself at home? By a pregnancy test. No I'm not joking either. With testicular cancer two categories in your bloodwork matter most... Your LDH and your beta HCG. Beta HCG is the number that tells a woman if she is pregnant and approximately how far along she is. If a guy has a certain HCG number it means testicular cancer. At my worst during this disease i was testing six months pregnant. Yes i laughed a lot about that and still do. Iirc the normal HCG number is like 0-100 and at one time my number was hitting 44,000 which is roughly six to six and a half months pregnant.

No my moobies didn't get bigger and no i didn't start producing milk but the morning sickness was furious as hell and my food cravings got crazy, even without taste buds which chemo loves to take away.

I sincerely appreciate your comments and curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Arthainius
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 12:15 pm

Glad to have you on the forum ace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 12:51 pm

Thanks Art i genuinely like the place and liking it more and more everytime I come back. Its active enough, more than ANY other ff forums and the mods here are straight up and I like that.
Back to top Go down
DaedHead8
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 1:37 pm

Thanks for the information Ace, you've certainly given me something to think about. Now I need to talk my girl into buying a pregnancy test for me. This should be fun!
Back to top Go down
Laks0n
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 2:41 pm

I didn't expect this, since your personallity didn't give away any sign of this. Then again, who could expect it. You are a damn merry man. I myself have had many sick days and spent a lot of time at the hospital, but right now I am more or less healthy. I have a nasty cough with secretion that wont go away for I think 3 years now, and even the docs couldn't figure it out. Still, my mother complaining about it is more anoying then the thing itself.

On the up side of this life tragedy, at the end of this month I'm going to a camp for children that had their cancer cured to work as a caretaker and team leader. It is an honor to be picked out of so many volunteers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 3:35 pm

That is awesome Lak. People think I am happy? Those kids, some suffer way worse than me are some of the happiest kids around. I have hung with some of them and these are the kind of kids that hug me and tell me everything will be okay while im balling trying to talk to them. They are stronger than anyone i know, including myself. Some of them have already passed away.

I love the Dana Farber center and the yawkee center, both in Boston MA. Awesome place for a kid if he or she has to be anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Zoar1984
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 13th 2013, 11:16 pm

aceslifebegins wrote:
Well okay maybe just a little lmao      Zoar as well thanks for the pm's and for the help man

No worries man.  Glad to help.

For those out there asking questions about cancer, let me just toss out a few things.  I'm a biochemist/scientist and I have seen multiple family members (not all immediate) fight battles with cancer.  My main advice is to have regular checkups and make sure you do all of the suggested screenings for your age/weight/sex, etc.  Then if you find something, anything, out of the ordinary go have it checked out.  Don't take no for an answer.  I'm just as paranoid as the rest of the posters here.  My personal motto is not "if" I get cancer, but "when" I get cancer (I've been around chemicals and stuff since college and work with them daily).  We all just have to be vigilant not only for ourselves but the ones around us.

Fight on Ace and I'll catch you in the Fatal Frontier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laks0n
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 9:05 am

I once accidentaly found cancer in a person just using a fat-measuring weight scale. Ofc, the man was already aware he has cancer (it is dormant tho, and will proly stay that way since he is fairly old). When measuring his weight, and comparing his fat-protein-water ratio, I found a good 5-10kg of weight missing, going nowhere. Since cancer is made of dead cells, the electro-surge these scales use to measure your fat,water and protein % in body does not affect it, it is a fairly accurate and cheap way to find out if you have some "unknown matter" in your body. Those scales dont cost a lot, if you buy an older model, they can be up to 200$ if you want a professional one that can measure what you had for breakfast last week. And you can do it yourself, this fat-prot-water stuff is fairly easy to learn and basic, and could save your life. Also, trust me, you will be exercising more when you see just how much fat you got in yourself, and you will eat healthier.

A coleague of mine got into a realy awkward situation with the man in story because she thought he was joking about his 4 hour every day workout to stay healthy. Just shows how professional you should be when adressing topics that are this sensitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heptathlete
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 11:54 am

Gang, absolutely right on all accounts.

Praying for a miracle for you Aces. Remain joyful as the brain is our most powerful weapon against "the slings and arrows" coming at us from the world.

From your notes above sounds like the "Two roads diverged from a yellow woods" and "Success is counted sweetest" writings speak to your experience and give us a new perspective on our contributions both in here and in the real world.

We are not meant to face these events alone until our final breath is taken. If there is anything I, or I would imagine we, can do please shout out. Fairly certain you've already got some legendary talent in your corner doing their miracles.

Have you ever considered the talents of the Texas folks and their contributions to cancer care? For example there's a fairly famous / infamous Texan that started a foundation because of his experience with Cancer - Lance Armstrong and the Live Strong Foundation. Guessing you've already checked them out, as well as MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and others across the country.

All the best to you and yours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 12:27 pm

Unfortunately the lovestrong and other foundations have actually never helped cancer patients with money. That is a fact. Its the reason none of those foundations are doing well anymore. If you dont have a 501c i think it is, no one will donate unless they can write it off. Its really sad and it sucks but because my great state of MASS couldnt care less about cancer patients i have been lucky enough to have been helped greatly by the MMA community and MMA organizations. Without them we could have been homeless. Thats no bullshit
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 12:31 pm

And yes I have dealt with cancer centers of america, the cleveland clinic and even docs in europe. Unfortunately im just one of those cases that cant be helped anymore. I have got to know a little girl that man her fucking cancer was so bad and rare that injecting her with the hiv virus was the only way to save her life. Its actually fucking working but its my luck.... Id have cancer AND the bad aids lmao
Back to top Go down
heptathlete
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 12:41 pm

Only by the grace of God.

There are so many people that are struggling these days. Health issues, on-the-job issues, getting-a-job issues, personal safety, financial, etc.

Separately, looks like the PVP has kicked off in FF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 14th 2013, 1:01 pm

Well i know they better get theyre asses moving on the X, i want to start moving the redheads and get my particle guys in one damn spot lol
Back to top Go down
hatchetrizer
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 3:13 am

I think its really awesome that u are so open to ppls questions & are here letting others know the importance of watching & knowing their health. I'm new to the forums & i try to read up on every post to get to know all of u. I'm damn proud to be in this community bc of all the great ppl here. You have my respect & full support for the courage that u bring here day in & day out. I pray I won't ever be in the situation you're in. But if I ever am, I can only hope I can be as strong & courageous as u. I I wish u the best brother...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 8:47 am

Thanks man. The fight doesn't seem all that big when its for your life. I spent more time lurking here than ANYONE knows. I got to know others before i jumped in and it helps me gauge how much of a jackass i can be without pissing anyone off.
Back to top Go down
hatchetrizer
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 9:10 am

Lol. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaedHead8
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 6:43 pm

I think it's safe to say most people here enjoy a bit of jackassery from time to time, I know I do.
Back to top Go down
duavae
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 10:07 pm

don't worry Ace we all love a bit of laugh.
you definitely made this forum more fun my friend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 15th 2013, 10:58 pm

Word

lol
Back to top Go down
duavae
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 17th 2013, 2:09 am

Hey bro, hope the treatment today went smoothly, they did use lube right?
take care bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 17th 2013, 8:57 am

Ughh this new chemo is gross. Now my wife is more worried than ever that im going to stop treatment.

She may be right. Thanks for asking though. One of the hardest things to deal with is the feeling that you are already being forgotten and i haven't even died yet. If that makes sense?
Back to top Go down
duavae
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 17th 2013, 5:28 pm

ya it does bro. I missed your posts, yesterday the forum was fairly quiet and could use some of your energy you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 18th 2013, 6:52 am

Thanks duavae believe it or not you guys really help me as well. Anything to escape sometimes. Or like last night, that gold bot might be a no biggie to you but its a mood swing that helps lift me up.

And for anyone who would like to check it out i just did an interview with a BJJLegends writer Monta Wiley and it was just published in US Combat Sports magazine or you can read the article at uscombatsports.com

On the front page you will see picture index. Just click through and you will see the pic i use here as my avatar and my name, frank edge.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 18th 2013, 6:54 am

I will also be doing a radio show interview within the next couple weeks and shhhh but my wife was contacted by a certain someones team about doing my story.

One hint. The most powerdul woman in the world Smile
Back to top Go down
DaedHead8
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 18th 2013, 10:32 pm

Chyna? I'm a pro wrestling mark, don't know much about MMA so excuse me if I'm way off.
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 22nd 2013, 6:57 pm

Okay an update. No chemo this week. Had to put the breaks on cause this chemo is messing me up big time. And this game just made my fkn day worse.

Time to breathe
Back to top Go down
Edwardgrc2
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 22nd 2013, 6:59 pm

So is the chemo working?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 22nd 2013, 7:01 pm

Its only to slow things down so i live a little longer. No so far it isnt working. Im terminal but havent been given any expiration date yet
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 29th 2013, 9:14 pm

A little update.....the last few days have been real bad. Have been back and forth to the hospital and cancer center. I have neuropathy in my abdomen now. It brings permanent numbness in certain spots and nerve damage which brings mind blowing pain. They finally have it somewhat controlled but chemo treatment is going on hold right now. And could be permanently.

These side effects this time around are just really really bad. Maybe not worth it
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 29th 2013, 9:16 pm

Cont......

In the end to continue treatment but we will see.

On a game note i'm rubbing my hands together for tower lol. I will be nice and medicated for a heavy run Smile
Back to top Go down
Zoar1984
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 29th 2013, 11:30 pm

Make sure you say out loud "muhahaha" while rubbing your hands together-that will keep people on their toes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 29th 2013, 11:38 pm

lol will do
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 8:18 am

Well i'm on my way to the hospital for some IV fluids and a morphine breakfast, some tests and some meds. Ugh they taste nasty cause they use my port.

No biggie cause it makes me feel a tiny bit better anyway.

See every1 later Smile
Back to top Go down
Ravendill
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 8:19 am

good luck Frank! don't give up!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 8:49 am

I won't bro.

Do you remember the name of the guy that gave up?

Neither does anyone else.....
Back to top Go down
Ravendill
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 8:54 am

well played! you get a wiener elephant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 8:57 am

Can i trade that for a ball, as i only have one?

lmao
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 4:04 pm

Okay chemo postponed for at least two weeks which means recovery time, time to feel better and lots of time to myself. I will be squared away and ready to tower no problem

So at least a month or two of feeling better
Back to top Go down
dokesh123
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 5:22 pm

The universe itself is preparing for u to take u atop in the tower, dude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   July 30th 2013, 5:52 pm

Still have a couple things to lock up then im good and ready Smile
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 1st 2013, 7:02 pm

A T-shirt my wife designed for me for a fundraiser. Not bad eh?
Back to top Go down
Arthainius
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 1st 2013, 9:30 pm

I will buy one if available
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 1st 2013, 9:42 pm

It just went live tonight. The link is on franksfight page
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 5th 2013, 9:13 am

Hey if anyone is interest i have a youtube channel. My wife bought me a console recorder a while back so i recorded me and her playing Rock Band on Xbox. No it doesn't actually show is, it shows the game itself. We are actually ranked pretty high on the leaderboards. Were much higher a couple years ago but we play less now and its usually downloaded songs. We have downloaded 300+ songs Smile My wife is most happy with her #4 in the world on bass on the song "Someday".

I will have to find the link but just look us up as frankandwendy rockband or maybe just by frank edge? I will look for link and post it
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 5th 2013, 9:23 am

This work?
Back to top Go down
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 13th 2013, 10:11 pm

Okay everyone first off let me apologize for that little back and forth on the tower thread today. I should have just minded my own but i opened my big mouth. Secondly sone things that got said to me really made me stop and think. After hearing from a couple other members, which i will leave nameless it was confirmed to me that there are many here that believe i have used my health to gain things here ad my constant posting is seen as anoying and attention getting. The posting....what can i say? I just try to get away and wether im in the hospital, home or doing treatment i try to be elsewhere and the people here have really helped with that. I thought i was helping with site activity and overall just having some fun. As far as my health i didn't hide it but it really bothers me to know people think i used it to gain things. I have been given an eve, yellow bot, blue bot, siren maiden and a account with res on it to make a run in tower. I have also been lended mercs for certain events. I have seen this done quite often and didn't think it was any different nor did i think for a second it was all happening just because i was sick. I'm really sorry it was viewed this way as well as how i may be viewed just overall. To the people that have helped or i have got to know thank you for everything and if you did it just because i was sick thank you, but you didn't have to. To everyone that just found me annoying i'm sorry and if you would have just asked me to tone it down i would have. It didn't need to come to all of this. Either way you guys are awesome. After this event i have some buzzards to give out and a few mercs to return and then its a wrap. It's no where near worth stressing over afterall it is a game right? Smile Take it smooth and make it better
Back to top Go down
Edwardgrc2
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   August 13th 2013, 10:55 pm

I don't think its annoying it makes the forum be alive. Without u no one use to post that much anymore. It was dead without all the FF veterans leaving.

The forum members wanted u to have fun playing.
I was just annoyed of the email notification on my phone. I know i was annoying talking too much about my Telepath and Mac.

Thanks, Ace.

By the way nice video. U rocked that sh!t. Lol
. I don't know how to play. I would probably miss all of them. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here it is in a nutshell.   

Back to top Go down

Here it is in a nutshell.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next