The one and only dedicated Fatal Frontier forum.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Back to recycled content?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 1:34 pm

I thought FF was finally moving on past it's days of recycled content and non-creative releases. However, even in the ballpark of carbon copying content and re-releasing it I feel like having two events in a row where the lethal has the same skill is a new low. Especially when it is the same handicapped heal skill that reduces the mercs overall effectiveness.

Am I just upset irrationally on this one? Or does it seem odd to anyone else that we have a lady surrounded by snakes whose second skill is a heal over time, and whose first skill has no modifier and lowers attack? I mean, maybe it's just me being stereotypical, but if there was any lethal whose skills didn't fit her art, this is the one. No poison, weak damage, and heal? C'mon now.

Help me out. Should I just get over it or is there anyone else who feels utterly disappointed by pretty much every aspect of this lethal after just starting to get their hopes up after this last crop of lethals things were on the upward trend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
legendslayer
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 1:41 pm

http://fatalfrontier.wikia.com/wiki/Serpent_Shade_v2

Her attack skill is a 150% 3-hit which is decent, especially if you get a POPE version with over 15k attack.

Her support skill has both an up-front heal and an additional heal over time. And since it targets your lowest HP units, it's actually one of the better heal skills.

Overall, she's a decent entry-level Lethal. Heads and shoulders above Vibriss in my opinion. I wouldn't mind one. If you win one, let me know and we can work out a trade if you don't like her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nimey
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 1:49 pm

They have a neat lil programm which they also use very often for raid savages/ rewards.
/open box of rejected BB art and randomly select it
/randomly select weak (nowadays "balanced") skill with some random junk around it (silence, lower def, lower atk, lower wis)
/if lethal, randomly select lethal skill

Well, since it's random the third part happens to be the same for the last to lethals simply by chances.
Yeah it's like they have simply no predifined way they are going and all decisions happen within minutes before the event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 1:58 pm

I guess my concern doesn't rest in her overall power, since like you said, she is a decent entry level lethal. I like the heal skill on chained spirits kit. I think chained spirit is a really decent lethal. As is this one.

The complaint I have more rests in copied content and content that simply does not make sense between her skills and her art. I am upset that Dakota went back to phoning it in on the lethal, rather than putting some effort and communication between their various departments to make a decent quality product. In a game like this, where if we are all honest, is purely about building stronger and squads and collecting new and interesting mercs, the lethal should be the pipe dream that people look to and gets them hooked on the game, driving them to spend time and money to achieve one. When they put effort in other places, but then fail to deliver the on the carrot that keeps people interested and motivated, it just seems incredibly stupid.

It just seems like the guy putting the skills in paid no attention to the name or art and decided to tweak the top skill from the last lethal a minute amount and put it out there expecting people to clamor for it. They had the longest gap between events before this tower that I can remember in a long time, and to not even recycle a skill from a few months ago to at least make it SEEM like they were putting some effort toward originality, they pull out chain spirit, change the art, and switch the skill to atk based and release it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sphynx187
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 2:22 pm

Before CXB event, the rares/lethals roll-outs were like cold-war era escalation. Each one was more powerful than the previous, in different ways. Now, it's like a world-peace era "let's all be equal" and no one event reward is going to change the way you play significantly (i.e. - Incinerate, Blue/black bots, Golem).

We all keep yearning for those escalation days, and when we get something marginally better than average we hope against hope times are changing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 2:53 pm

I'm not even talking about making her stronger I am simply talking about making her original.

I would have loved to see them go more the road of artemis with her, and giving her the current skill (making swapping in poison for attack debuff because of the snakes) and giving her a synergistic but low ratio buff all attack, like artemis 30% of 11k wis. Give her ~10k wis and a 30% atk buff to all.

It would add dimension and coherence to her kit, while making her an interesting fit in a lot of set ups. It would also make her unique and desirable without being omgpewpewpew OP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
legendslayer
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 3:17 pm

Ah, for the days of original and interesting characters like BWQ, Frozen Golems, and Technomancers again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 3:20 pm

i am so very glad i am sitting this one out Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 4:11 pm

I'm glad I will be picking her up, since I can see how effective the regen would be on a mordeo buffed canis, essentially making him immortal even to a slow weakening by continual attack. I can't see anyone but a Noct or Fista taking him out very easily.

I just wish it was something more. Something that I felt that developers but as much time into creating as the thousands of players will put into fighting it out for the right to own her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 4:43 pm

similar to lightning, when buffed if my fista procs he never strikes the same spot twice if you understand Wink same for big rig honestly oddly enough lol

i have no place in my squad where i could see this L fitting personally tho, plus i just won a better version of the L which i gave to someone as a gift lol

not a bad concept there however

Last edited by paintballer58 on August 7th 2013, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edwardgrc2
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 4:46 pm

^ Me either but going to sell it for resources if i get one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edwardgrc2
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 4:55 pm

mamoncrief wrote:
I'm not even talking about making her stronger I am simply talking about making her original.

I would have loved to see them go more the road of artemis with her, and giving her the current skill (making swapping in poison for attack debuff because of the snakes) and giving her a synergistic but low ratio buff all attack, like artemis 30% of 11k wis. Give her ~10k wis and a 30% atk buff to all.

It would add dimension and coherence to her kit, while making her an interesting fit in a lot of set ups. It would also make her unique and desirable without being omgpewpewpew OP

Those skills would probably come out in a Raid Lethal. Were more players go for top 25.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 5:29 pm

Artemis was a pvp lethal, and I would argue that on average we have seen a trend leaning toward pvp lethals being the worst of the bunch for some time. I can't remember the last "strong" pvp lethal.

Tower on the other hand has had a good mix of strong lethals to it's credit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 5:35 pm

prior to marcus' rerelease all the pvp lethals were pretty damn powerful. vibriss isnt really bad either cuz he reduces enemy buff capacity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 6:12 pm

Do you mean back in the early days when lethals were only offered in PVP competitions? Because looking at the list of pvp lethals since lethals started being offering in other events as well- wildchild, technomancer, marcus, vibriss - reads like the list of the cheapest lethals in the game (other than deadeye). Since hellcat, all the way back last year, there has not been a highly sought after pvp lethal.

I understand that all "aren't really bad" they are all lethals, and as such are all still very strong. I am simply comparing them to others in their caste - other lethals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 7:07 pm

compared to other L1s they are still very powerful though.

obviously theyv been outclassed by majority of L2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 7:36 pm

also daddy long guns was a popular L, and lets face it hes wildchild v2 redubbed and repackaged
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 9:39 pm

Long Guns was ok. but he wasn't a pvp lethal was he?I get hazy on the last couple of months worth of events because I haven't been playing as hard core over the summer (work has been crazy)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paintballer58
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   August 7th 2013, 9:48 pm

he wasnt, i was just making comparison of the two
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to recycled content?   

Back to top Go down

Back to recycled content?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1