The one and only dedicated Fatal Frontier forum.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darr
Uncommon
Uncommon

PostSubject: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   August 26th 2013, 6:40 am

I posted part of this in Laks0n's retirement thread and was advised to repost here for some feedback.

It occurred to me while thinking about what I've been reading & noticing on the forum for the last couple of months. Quite a number of high-profile/active players are leaving the game or currently discussing retiring, the primary reason being time requirements.

The amount of time needed to play competitively, what should be, a game in your spare time is astronomical. It pretty much can become a full-time job and a lot of players already have one of those ;-) In addition to a girlfriend/wife. Mine refers to herself as a FF-WAG...which some of you based in the UK and Ireland will get ;-)

I would love to see some shorter events being thrown out to us (2-3 days)...in addition to the longer ones for the players with more free time. Again, the point being is that I've noticed that quite a number of well-respected players are leaving what is already a relatively small community of players. If Dakota release shorted events it may encourage those players to stay around and take part in them as I'm sure they would all like to be able to keep playing FF.

But I'm not looking for the overall amount of events to increase...just leave more "downtime" between shorter events so that we can regen some resources, level up new minions or to just sit back discussing ideas like this in the forum ;-)

Thoughts & comments are welcome...particularly from any developers/game artists that happen to be passing by...

Last edited by darr on August 26th 2013, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   August 26th 2013, 8:41 am

Shorter events leads to lethal flooding and less strategy. I would bo cool with 5 day events though
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/FranksFight
DaedHead8
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   August 26th 2013, 8:42 am

I like the idea of more downtime between events, it would make the events themselves feel more significant rather than just more of the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/DaedHead8
darr
Uncommon
Uncommon

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   August 26th 2013, 8:54 am

Sure ace - I don't want to make lethal's as common as our beloved fug bugs ;-)....as I mentioned though, there should be a longer break after one of the short events so that the time between the different events would remain the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nivaiq
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 1st 2013, 1:19 pm

After 1 whole year how about a few new events? We don't mind being guinea pigs and testing things out for some shitty mercs. How about it dakota? New events? Fun fun?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aceslifebegins
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 1st 2013, 2:24 pm

How about a no proc or no buff pvp and i'm talking different than what happens to everyone now lol

Or handicap event in some new zone where there's random handicap battles where you could have five active for that fight or maybe only 3?

Or an event when it becomes random WHO you fight with in certain battles. You start with 10 maybe only allow 5 epic and 5 rare and then by random it selects which five of those you fight with?

There's actually a lot of fun little events they could do maybe make them a one weekend a month event and cut the three major events by two days down to 5?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/FranksFight
Fresh-Fil-A
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 1st 2013, 2:41 pm

^ Then I'd certainly lose in a fight without proc & buff. I'm running this squad for PvP ( which is beast btw when buffed & proced );

CXB-2000U / Big Rig v2 / Big Rig v2 / Giga-Primarch v2 / Canis Bulwark v2

But if you take away the proc, Big Rig v2 hits no damage. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iirybackii
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 1st 2013, 9:35 pm

How about they just test one event where there is no buff/proc manipulation of any kind? I'd personally like to see what it would look like and if more people would have fun knowing the game is 100% pure chance and not rigged against them.

That would be a good place to start.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arthainius
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 2nd 2013, 4:03 pm

^^^^^^^↑^^^^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darr
Uncommon
Uncommon

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 11th 2013, 10:22 am

Just read the thread where duavae informed us that he's retiring from FF. Another good one biting the dust and the amount of time needed to be competitive in a game is cited as a major reason for his decision.

With that in mind I'm surprised by the lack of positive commentary in this thread regarding shorter events as FF seems to be constantly losing established players (primarily due to time requirements from what I can see) and I do not know if the amount of new players coming in & staying with the game is balancing this out...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heptathlete
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 11th 2013, 11:19 am

I'd certainly like short events that I could jump in / out and not get heavily penalized.

Or multiple events occurring simultaneously to split the L hunters so others would have a shot for an L without the crazy commitments / massive res investment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoar1984
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 11th 2013, 12:18 pm

I like the previously stated idea of having tiers. Upper tier for the power-players and then a regular tier for the rest of us. As things sit now, I know that I don't have the time to win a Lethal. So that means that I will continue to be a 100-150 range player. Eventually the frustration of never being able to win a lethal, with the time that I can spend, will make me move on to the next game. My competitive spirit will eventually over-ride the min/max'ing of mercs and my merc collection. My mind will start whispering that perhaps you can do better playing a different game. Or maybe I should just go back to real-life games where you actually have something in the end for your money. For mobile games you are paying for the experience. If that experience is not fun, why do it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozziev
Rare
Rare

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 11th 2013, 1:13 pm

I love the idea of different events going at once....that way you need to pick which your going to try and go for leaving room for others to accually have a shot. Tier system isnt bad either
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamoncrief
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 11th 2013, 1:25 pm

I think you hit on an issue of key importance Zoar, which is, how does a game like FF ensure that it is FUN for the middle of the road player, while also catering to the competitive players where they will make the lions share of their money.

I think that having daily, or weekend events with special rules is a good idea, something with non-lethal rewards that can serve to be both fun, and help mid level players get a "leg up" so to speak.

Maybe something like a blind weekend tournament- you buy a pack of 10 pre-leveled omega cell mercs, and have to make a team out of whatever you draw, then fight a weekend tournament with that team. A newer player could get just as lucky in this as an experienced one, and the prize could be a pack of 10 omega cells (to get back the entry fee, essentially) and a pile of resources. Or they could make the reward a 2 stage epic, with the top 10 getting 2 and the top 50 getting 1, and throwing in a tiered system of resource rewards like the daily pvp win amount giveaways. This way everyone is happy, new players get a chance to compete competitively, experienced players get something new to occupy their time, and dakota actually makes some dough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
danthepirate
Epic
Epic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   September 12th 2013, 2:18 am

What I would like to see is the number of points required to get an L for the past events. Now I know they have reduced the number of reward mercs that are being given out which have made it harder, but the number of points required for an L is determined by everyone that participates.

Currently the way I see this game in its most basic form is that it's kind of like an auction where we bid the time we are prepared to spend playing which is multiplied in with how many res we are prepared to spend and then finally multiplied by a factor which is determined by the awesomeness of the squad. The time requirement is the only thing stopping this from being a completely pay to win game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?   

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on a scattering of shorter events?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1